Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Ka-Che Factor

Poverty takes on many forms.  If we are honest with ourselves, we all are impoverished in some way.  For those who are homeless or living in the developing world, we can readily see the economic poverty.  Yet, hidden from society’s all-too-often oblivious eyesight, lies a deeper, more insidious, set of measures:  poverty of spirit (lack of intimacy with God); poverty of relationships (lack of intimacy with others), poverty of compassion (lack of empathy toward others who suffer).  Feeling alone, unloved, hopeless, numb to life, are all ingredients for various types of dysfunctional behaviors and acting out … sadly, many times, to the end result of suicide.  Each day in America, 5 teens commit suicide.  Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death among people between the ages of 15-24, preceded by accidental injuries and homicide.


The divine beauty and wholeness is discovered within the sacred exchange – when we reach out to someone else of perceived greater need with love and compassion – we, too, are blessed recipients of God’s sovereignty, unconditional love and healing grace.

Matthew 25:35-36For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

I do that now – wherever I am – or at least endeavor to do so.  Whenever I see someone who God has placed in my path, I try to see Jesus in them – especially those who are most challenging to me.  God tells us it’s far too easy to offer love to our family and friends – and much more difficult, yet hugely rewarding – when we offer our hearts to strangers and to our enemies.  It truly is the hardest thing to do, isn’t it? – to offer a genuine compassionate ear or a helpful hand to those who seem different from us – or worse yet, those who don’t even like us.  Yet, this is when, where and how we experience the living Christ on earth.

Jean Vanier – Henry Nouwen’s mentor and founder of L’Arche, an international network of faith-based communities centered around people who have developmental disabilities – said we “arrive” when we move from generosity to compassion … when we emotionally, physically, and spiritually enter into one’s pain and suffering – when we accompany them.

Bob Pierce, founder of World Vision said something similar, he said, “Let my heart be broken by the things that break the heart of God.”  In other words – Let me feel what you feel, God, so that I might authentically and selflessly pour out the love and life of Christ into the wounds of the hurting.

In Henry Nouwen’s book, The Wounded Healer, he submits that we cannot fully or wholly heal the wounded until we recognize our own woundedness. 

When we live in the sanctuary of humility, God reveals to us how He can and will divinely use us through our weaknesses and limited capacities.

I used to think that I had nothing to offer when traveling on various short-term mission trips.  I’m not a teacher  … I’m not a nurse … I’m not a handy-man.  How could God possibly use me??!!

Later on, I realized that my attitude of not having something to offer was a direct insult to God. Of course, I have something to offer – but I would only find out what it was if I was willing to put myself in situations that were clearly uncomfortable – and really stretching – and the key was to do it WITH and FOR others.  To be in community.

And what manifested out of that willingness to step out of my comfort zone in full faith – was SOOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL – it was as though I entered into a new dimension of life.  In my new life view, the The Holy Spirit is awakened by the “Ka-Che Factor.”  The “Ka-Che Factor” is what occurs when we put our faith in action

      when we reach out to someone in need
      when we intercede for others in prayer
      when we accompany others who suffer – in whatever form that suffering takes

The Holy Spirit ignites a flame of passion, peace and wholeness we could never, ever otherwise experience.

My friend, Jan, recently posted a link to a very cool YouTube video on her Facebook page that accentuates this sentiment.  I guarantee you will be inspired by Narayanan Krishnan – a man with purpose, passion and immeasurable peace – a man born to love and to give … just like each one of us.

Enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiC_9RHTvsA

The more you know, the better seeds you’ll sow and the more beautiful your life garden will grow.
  
Susan Sorensen Langer is founder of Mosaic Mindshare (www.mosaicmindshare.com) with a 25-year career in marketing, management and major donor fundraising.

Mosaic Mindshare. Observers. Planners. Connectors.

No comments:

Post a Comment